You know you’re paleo when mayo is considered a health food. Yup, we’re changing up the salad game by adding more fat. What’s new? The fun thing about concoctions like this is reworking a store-bought classic filled with vegetable oils and junk and turning it into a whole food recipe. It’s a measure of success. Gone are the days when skipping mayo was a quick and easy tip to shed the pounds. Here’s a recipe for paleo mayo to change the way you do creamy salads for good. Warning: so delicious, it’s dangerous!
2 cups of light tasting olive oil (not extra-virgin) OR avocado oil
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. ground mustard (optional)
1. Whisk together lemon juice, egg yolks, and ground mustard
2. With a balloon attachment for a hand mixer, an immersion blender, or a food processor, slowly add in the olive oil mixture. Blend consistently until the texture is creamy.
3. Repeat adding in 2-3 spoonfuls of olive oil at a time until it is gone. It should blend in within a few seconds each time.
4. Can and store in an airtight jar for up to two weeks. Use on everything.
Tips & Advice:
- Light tasting olive oil is necessary to create the best flavor. EVOO will change the profile entirely, and not for the better.
- Pour in the oil SLOWLY. By slow, I mean painfully slow. Almost drop by drop – think approximately 2-3 tbsp. at a time. Your mixture should never resemble liquid.
- This is a highly customizable condiment. Sriracha mayo, anyone? Add your own personal touch! Get creative.
This recipe goes exceptionally well with homemade paleo coleslaw, which you can get the scoop on over here.
If you’re looking for more accountability, motivation, and a way to challenge yourself, come join us for the next 30 Day KickStart! A new 30 Day KickStart begins each month. Find out why it’s proven to 5X your commitment to healthy eating.